Ramblings of a disused brain

Saturday 9 May 2009

Recession hits home...

His eagle-like eyes concentrate on the minutest details. Every movement the banker makes is the subject of an extensive audit. Why was this deposit made, how much did you credit my account with, how much have you debited for that purchase, how much rent is due to me, prove to me that you have credited my salary etc., etc., are perpetual challenges the banker faces.

When its time to indulge in muti-million dollar deals, he pushes hard, really hard. Arguments are a-dime-a-dozen within this board room, no acquisition is settled without a lengthy debate, without an analysis about the strength of the investment and of benefits of investing in real estate.

He is ruthless in collecting rent for his properties. Relations and relationships have no place in the world of business and no one is spared.

His strategy worked just fine and he always finished as a multi-millionaire, victorious and rich. Until yesterday. Yesterday he was forced to file for bankruptcy, by his own daughter-in-law.

That, my dear readers, is how appa plays Monopoly. It takes an experienced eye to distinguish between the seriousness with which he trades in shares and plays Monopoly. No matter who rolls the dice, he personally totals it, he follows each and every player's moves to make sure they are done legally and makes sure rent is paid in accordance with the rules before the next person rolls the dice, he is a one man army comprising investor, auditor and investment guru, extolling the virtues of investing in real estate.

Fans of 'Lage Raho Munnabhai' would be familiar with the following conversation between Lucky and the corrupt government servant (obviously not verbatim, but reproduced accurately!):

Lucky: Kitna mangta hai kaam khatam karne? (How much do you want to finish the job?)
Corrupt Government Servant: Rs 10 lakhs
Lucky: Rs 20 thousand
CGS: Rs 8 lakhs
Lucky: Rs 25 thousand
CGS: Final offer Rs 5 lakhs
Lucky: Great, na tera, na mera Rs 2.5 lakhs, the deal is done, moo meeta kar! (neither yours nor mine, Rs 2.5 lakhs, the deal is done, bring out the sweets).

I simply love this type of bargaining and here's the scene that took place between appa and amma yesterday over appa's aborted attempt to purchase Hong Kong from amma with hopes of building a hotel. The original price amma paid for Hong Kong was M$ 2.6m

Appa: How much do you want for Hong Kong?
Amma: I paid 2.6 million and since you will build a hotel if I sell it to you, I want atleast 8 million (this was reasonable considering I was her financial advisor and after looking at possible inflows to appa once he builds a hotel there, I suggested the figure of 8 million).
Appa: I will give you 3 million, nothing more
Amma: Nothing doing, I'll come down to maximum 6 million
Appa: I'm not paying more than 3.2 million, take it or leave it.
Amma: OK fine, I'm leaving it.

10 rounds later, appa was bankrupt because the rest of us built hotels at each of our places, my wife at Sydney, London and New York, amma at Rome, Shanghai and Vancouver and me at Montreal and Riga. He ended up staying at London quite a bit and with no sources of funds other than his salary run, his income could not keep up with his extravagant expenses and he had to be declared bankrupt!

Its a cruel world, 'init?

3 comments:

  1. According to me, this is the best post among all of yours. My only target in Monopoly is to bankrupt Appa and my husband, that's you. I achieved 50% of my target and the remaining 50% celebration will come soon either in 28 or in Monopoly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I can imagine the seriousness with which he would launch himself into the game of money like this!

    Poor appa, he should have stuck with building schools - this hotel business is what him bankrupt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly believe there are several members in our family who could do with a job or maybe social service of some kind!!

    ReplyDelete