Ramblings of a disused brain

Thursday 14 January 2010

Falcon to Burger...an Autograph


The stable of vehicles in our household has been reasonably varied.


Falcon (reg number unknown)


This was the first scooter my father bought. I have very few memories of this scoot, for I either did not exist when we owned this or I was too small to remember. Fond recollections by my father indicate this scoot was fast, had a massive premium and he sold it for a price higher than the price he bought it for (possibly the only automobile less than 50 years old that appreciated!). Oh yes and he also had his first accident by being over confident. Apparently he managed to break a cast iron handlebar in 2!



Avanti Kelvinator (TNN 7511)
 
Fondly called "Street Hawk" by my father's students, this was also a 'robust' scooter, which meant it was made of iron, weighed around 2 and half tons and with its 150cc engine, it was about as nimble as a tortise on steroids. This was also most likely the scooter that instilled in me the love of touring on a two wheeler. We'd go on long (around 80 km in a day and that is long on that scoot!) rides around Nilgiris during the holidays. The mother would have to go to work and once she leaves, the father, the two sisters and I would pile onto the scooter along with a packed lunch and take off. Considering the vehicle is only expected to carry 2 people, it had well, 2 seats! People who are keen observers, eagle eyed and all that will observe that said two seater carried 4 people plus lunch for 4 hungry souls! As you might imagine, comfort was often spartan. The seating arrangement would always have me seated on stuffed cushion between the front and rear seats or standing in the front.


In hindsight, I guess it's not the most comfortable method of travelling, however, back then it was exhilerating and exciting. The only thing one had to keep in mind while sitting between seats was to ensure you stayed well away from the grip on the spring loaded front seat, for any sudden pothole could have castrating effects on one.


Bajaj Chetak (TN 43 4911)



This is the one I learned to ride in and did quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing between Ooty and Coimbatore. I'd learned to ride in the school campus, a fact which drivers of all school vehicles were aware of and would promptly get off the road when they saw me approaching. This one had a single long seat, but alas, we had grown by then and one 3 of us could fit on the scooter at a time. This was also the one that almost ended my young life in the persuit of a lousy figure of 8.


Hero Puch (TN 37 Q 1736)



This was one puny 65cc moped, but it could scream like a banshee and still manage a respectable 50kmph if you contorted yourself like an escape artist and made yourself invisible to the wind. Even this has taken me on a trip from Coimbatore to Ooty, although it took a painful 3.5 hours and required at times a one human power in addition to the 4 horses that powered it. In my defense, this was a hand-me-down, I would never down grade from a 150cc scooter to a moped off my own free will.



Bajaj Spirit (KA 03 Y something)



Yet another hand me down from the sister (does anyone else notice a trend here?). Performance wise not to dissimilar to the Puch, but looked way better.












Bajaj Legend (TN 33 L 4177)



Ah, my first true "non hand-me-down". I was the second owner having it bought it when it had done only 3,000kms. In the 12 months I used it, it did a further 13,000. Faithfully accompanying me on trips all over the place, from Tiruppur to Siruvani to Mettur to Ooty. It was supremely comfortable and if you threatened it enough, it would get to 80kmph and stay there. Touted as the first 4 stroke scooter in the world, it gave excellent fuel economy. Its still in the family and happily ferries me whenever I go to India.



Bajaj Caliber (TN 38 P 19xx)



Yep, we were a bajaj family through and through. My first motorcycle. All the more special because I saved up and bought it with my own cash. For the one year I had it, this was my pride and joy, faithfully ferrying me on pointless trips upto Ooty, and around Coimbatore district and the jewel in the crown, a trip from Coimbatore to Chennai, a distance of 600kms that took me 14 hours on miserable, potholed roads!




By now folks must be wondering why I'm having this Autograph moment with past two wheelers. Here's the deal, there is a new addition to the brood:


Suzuki Burgman 400 (FH 06 TZP)


The newest acquisition is a 400cc brute and is quite the looker. It has been affectionately called a 'luxo-scoot' by fans.
It is supremely comfortable and I am totally in louve with it.


In order to provide the uninitiated a simple to understand perspective of the awesomeness of this bike (yes, sisters of mine, I am referring to you), here are a few quick stats:






Avanti Kelvinator
Bajaj Chetak
Hero Puch
Bajaj Spirit
Bajaj Legend
Bajaj Caliber
Suzuki Burgman
















Displacement
150cc
150cc
65cc
80cc
150cc
110cc
400cc
















Power
5bhp
7bhp
4 bhp
5 bhp
9 bhp
9 bhp
32bhp
















Top speed
60 kpmh
70 kpmh
50 kmph
60 kpmh
80 kpmh
85 kmph
150 kmph
















0-40 kmph
Long enough
< 1 min
>1 min
>1 min
6 sec
6 sec
3 sec
















0-100 kmph
100? You've got to be kidding me
100? You've got to be kidding me
100? You've got to be kidding me
100? You've got to be kidding me
100? You've got to be kidding me
100? You've got to be kidding me
8 sec




Motorbiking evokes memories and dreams of sunny skies and warm weather. Imagine how happy I was when the forecasters at BBC said the worst of the horrible weather has now passed and residents of this damp and dreary country can now look forward to temperatures that are going to be positive in the coming weeks and months. It was on that high note that I stepped into the dealership with a spring in my step and took delivery of the Burger. The weather was bitterly cold, but between the heated grips and excellent weather protection, I got home with only slightly numb finger tips. I was eagerly looking forward to a ride to the office the next day, for my office for the day was a good 20 miles from home. Having woken up bright eyed and bushy tailed the next day, imagine my chagrin when what I saw outside was this:


 


and this
not a pretty sight I tell you, not a pretty sight. I'm now waiting for the big thaw before this baby can stretch its legs.



6 comments:

  1. LOVELY POST! May I learn to drive on your burger please *innocent look*

    BTW, what is the need for a swanky vehicle that will go upto 100 kmph? I will call appa immediately and let him know asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a chance lady! And by that I am talking about the probability of me getting out of your way if you ever lay your hands on this monster. The Bajaj Chetak took its time trying to kill me, sort of like a movie villain who spends a good half an hour with the hero pinned under his legs before attempting (in vain) to fire the gun. The burger is more like Quick-Gun-Murugan and before you can say "Mind it!", you'll be travelling at terminal velocity (i.e., velocity to terminate me).

    You can tell Appa what you want. When he was here, I brought one home on a test ride and he was might impressed and has approved whole-heartedly. You see, the Burger has a massive storage area - a bit more than a Maruti 800, so that sold him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Anand on the new bike.
    Make sure you keep it safe for the long and interesting trips ahead!

    Gayathri buckle up now!! Congrats to you for getting a driver for scooter :)

    -Sri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous post Anand. Your scooter looks awesome too... Ride safely and keep the rubber side down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Nice blog. Me and my hubbie are also planning to hire a kinetic honda/activa when we visit ooty and conoor. It's something we would like to explore ourselves. I was wondering if the ride was safe along ghat roads as I would be riding in parts. Did you switch off the engine while going downhill on scooter? Just need some tips and wondering if you had female riders with you? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete