Ramblings of a disused brain

Wednesday 9 December 2009

This week, last year.

The few regular readers of this blog are, no doubt aware of my marriage, which happened last year. It's the reason I started blogging and have occasionally (read: a million times) referred to said marriage. I would, in this particular instance, strongly urge the reader not to focus on the marriage per se, but on the words "which happened last year". That's right, at some point in this week (the exact date does not elude me, I just chose not to refer to it, for the simple reason that this post hasn't been posted on that date!) our marriage turned 1. And no, this is not a mushy post on what I did/plan to do for the anniversary and how much I love her, but this is a mushy post on the year gone by.

From the time my memory goes back to, I have been fed a healthy diet of motoring magazines and continue to feed on them. One common theme I observe is that there is always a 'long term test report'. In these reports, there will invariably be a few photographs of a knackered looking car or motorcycle with some notes on how it is taking said knackering. To those who simply love jumping the gun, there will be no photographs and neither I nor the wife is knackered in any way. This was merely a comparison to put layout of this post in perspective. And like they assess the vehicles under different attributes, I shall assess a few categories of my wedding in the past year, followed by a satisfaction score.

Conversations:

At some point in August 2008, I made nervous first phone call to a girl that lasted the best part of 59 minutes. In those 59 minutes, I spoke for a sum total of 6 minutes and 25 seconds, including hmmmms, okays, yes, no and other monosyllabic emissions from my throat. The girl happily batted the remaining 52'35". Keen mathematicians would have already worked out that I was able to only contribute around 10% to the conversation. I'm happy to report that I am now able to talk for a lot longer now. But I suspect that's only because we are now together for a lot longer than 59 min. Her ability to chatter on incessantly is a blessing for me, for after a long day at the office talking in geek, it is amazing how restorative it is to have someone come and talk in a language other than geek. It's become something I look forward to when I get back home battered and bruised.

Lonely bachelors would nod with me when I say that coming home to someone is good, but I can now confirm coming home to someone raring to start talking to you is simply awesome! 9/10

Food:

Visiting dignitaries to our humble little home have poured accolades on the wife's culinary skills. They may have been polite, I don't know. But I need no other proof than the fact that my waistline, which stands testimony to her cooking skills.

In large corporations, there is a practice. When they want to sacrifice a (scape)goat, they hire a few managers and human resource personnel to talk to said goat. When they are done talking with the goat, it voluntarily catches the cheapest mode of transport allowable under expense reimbursement policies, goes to a discount store, bargains hard with the vendor, buys a knife, then goes to the butcher, hands over the knife, goes to the butcher's table and tucks itself in, ready to be sacrificed. That goat is not me. Culinary experiments were carried out on me in January 2009. From there on, there's been looking back and she has gone from strength to strength in the cooking department. I'm completely satisfied. 10/10

Life:

The transition from a carefree bachelor to a 'grahasthan' has had its ups and downs. Luckily there have been more ups than downs. Thanks to her. She's been very understanding. "I'm going for a BNO (boys' night out)", I would say. "No problem, go break a leg", would be the reply. Although I still haven't figured out why she grits her teeth each time she says this, like she is chewing leather. There's been no shortage of happiness and I am more than content here, hence the score is 12/10.

Overall experience:

Nothing short of exemplary. The product has been extremely low maintenance and high on efficiency. Given a choice between a super awesome, exciting life without her and the comfort of domestic bliss with her talking in the background, I wouldn't bat an eyelid while I chose the latter. I enjoy coming home to the wife and will continue doing so for until I retire. Then, I won't have to leave the house in the first place :). Happy anniversary 'week', dear wife.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most valuable gift for me on our anniversary. I will frame this post and keep it in my achievements self.I pray to God that you have to be happy like this forever in the life.

    Thousands of thanks to God for giving me a very nice husband and a very good family (Amma, Appa, Akkas, Annas and Kutties) after marriage.

    I have nothing but happiness in my life. Love you all for giving me this wonderful husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoy! You really are milking it aren't you?! Come on, her father made you famous in Chidambaram area, and you hope to scoop things up quietly with a post? I am impressed. Rather impressed. I thought you would risk courting an Economics lecture from Appa by going the whole 9 yards - with a limo, and a broadway show and all that. But you got a chick to shed the tears of joy with a cheap-skate post. I am sure guys are queueing up to get tips dude!

    Happy Anniversary to both you nuts, and may you spend many, many more happy years together. Let me know if you'd like the bundles of joy to join you for the celebrations and we can send not one, not two, but three big bundles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Saumya: Since when is it cheap to be romantic? Tut tut, it's folks like you that have monetized romance :) and pray, what does her father making me famous in Cdm have to do with this post?

    Are you forgetting we're in the middle of a recession here? You've got to be prudent (which, BTW is the new watchword for miserly) in spending habits, more so if you've got sights on a bike that is a few hundreds outside your budget!

    And finally, thank you, yes, we would love to have the three bundles of joy over for a VISIT :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many more happy years ahead to you both!

    Gaathi@ Framing it and keeping it is pushing it a bit :)

    Anand@ telling you to be cautious about the choice of words (and marks?!!) is like telling keena not to spill milk on her shirt. She will spill milk till she sees the consequence :)

    ReplyDelete