Ramblings of a disused brain

Monday 1 March 2010

The cold Sun

I was wondering the other day, it's a good thing these scientist types changed their panic attack headlines from 'Global Warming' to 'Climate Change'. Any reference to global warming would attract a well aimed, powerful and solid kick to the referer's bottom. Allow me to explain.

Thanks to my undying efforts, the world now knows what greeted me the day after I bought my scooter. The underlying hope at that point in time was that this too would come to pass and in a fortnight the sun would come out of hibernation, provide heat and light and all that. What a load of BS that turned out to be.

It's now more than a month since said scooter entered the household and the Sun has been as lazy as ever. The bloke can slumber like a bear in hibernation, I tell you. It began getting cold and nippy way back in November. The days are getting longer now, but they sure as hell ain't getting any warmer.

When I first moved the UK, one of the major draws, for me, was the rain. This is a fact I've had to justify to every single person that has ever asked me why I chose to leave a sunny country like Dubai and come to wet and dreary UK. The normal reaction to this statement is to look at me like I have just eaten a live crocodile. Some even look at me like they did when they found out there is no Santa Claus. Once the initial shock of my statement passes by, they eventually recover and in less than 2 days, they return to their normal selves and dismiss me as an eccentric madman. I found their line of reasoning for such a reaction a bit on the cuckoo side, but I understand it better now.

Coming from a country where rain hits the headlines and only does that around 3-4 days in a year, it felt good to have regular rain again. It felt good back in the day, but like they say, too much of a good thing soon turns bad. It's rained around 3-4 days a week for the past 4 months and I've had my fill of rain, thank you very much. The temperature gauge on the dash of my scooter has forgotten what it is to be in double digit temperatures and my digits have forgotten what it would feel like to have two of their namesakes get together in the context of a weather discussion.

Even the hardy British folks seem to have stopped grumbling about the weather, probably in the vain hope that they would somehow appease the weather Gods into blessing the place with more moderate weather. No luck on that front either.

Then we have these blessed statisticians, who keep reeling off numbers that say this has been the coldest winter since records began. Since my records began, each winter has been colder than the next, according to these statistics.

It is now bright and sunny outside, but there is no point in going outside, for the Sun in this part of the world only produces light and does not bother  with heating.

The other day, I was watching an advertisement by these infernal litigation lawyers, and I am seriously contemplating if there would be any point in suing the Sun, the Solar System, the UK Government (for the UK being where it is on the planet). The reason for the lawsuit? Discrimination against the people and citizens of this cold and wet country...

Update:

Funny thing happened. As with all other posts of late, this one was taking a healthy snooze in the Drafts folder for the past couple of days. I was mucking about with the weather widget on my phone and out of a whim, I googled the coldest city on Earth and came up with Yakutsuk in Siberian Russia. The current temperature as of the time I posted this is -32 degrees Celcius. Further reading up on this desolate brought up this article. God just dished out some top-of-the-line perspective didn't He?

4 comments:

  1. All you have to do to attend the number temp party is to convert to Fahrenheit, which can't be said for Yakutsuk unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a detailed misdirection plan by you to mask the underlying issue. Let me explain, you know very well that it is going to rain for 3 or more months (don't claim innocence - I am sure you have an iPhone app for that) and yet you couldn't stop the urge to get your beloved scooter. Now you are suing sun/moon and UK (like mun-jaameen) before your better/smitten-i-miss-you (refer: facebook update)part and smart-and-skeptical part (read: dad) find out about it.
    You can fool everyone. Can you fool yoursel? :) HAA HAAA HAAAA!
    *Narayana Narayana**
    Nice blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh Saumya!! I just wish I could fool my mind that easily :(

    @Sri: I believe in full disclosure and hence the B/S-I-M-Y part and S-A-S part are both fully aware of the pitfalls of motorcycling in Britain. It is therefore, with a heavy heart, that I have to convey to you that your services as Naradar are not required in this part of the world. I hope you will be able do the thing you do in Dubai/Chennai/Coimbatore more efficiently :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anand: You should know the subtle difference. Naradhar does not create confusion. He throws the tiny pebble (of point-of-view) in the clear mind of people and that creates ripples of doubt. You can't blame the pebble for ripple. can you?
    More still the water/mind better than ripple effect.
    Think about your situation now!!
    *Narayana Narayana*

    ReplyDelete